It is the mission of the Victory Re-education Center (and Health Spa) to develop regionally adapted crops, livestock, and techniques that incorporate the strengths of alternative, conventional, and traditional agriculture. In addition, we believe in learning skills such as knitting, sewing, properly mending clothing, basic home repair, basic auto maintenance and repair, and general to advanced first aid for both people, pets, and livestock. We stand by the motto “if you can’t fix it, you don’t truly own it”.
- We believe in the Golden Mean. No one school of agriculture has all of the answers. Each has its own pro’s and con’s, and different situations require different solutions.
- We believe that adaptability is the key to survival. The world is not static and today’s solution might not work tomorrow. There is always room for improvement.
- We believe in simple solutions that are appropriate to the resources and skills of the user. In most cases, “good enough” is more desirable than “best”.
- Develop a garden rotation that minimizes the need for manual inputs (such as fertilizer, watering, and cultivation).
- Develop a field crop rotation that requires little or no powered equipment and also incorporates grazing animals.
- Develop landrace crops and livestock that are capable good yields with a minimum of labor.
- Develop tools and equipment that inexpensive, easy to make, durable, and simple to maintain
- Develop perennial crops that perform multiple functions and provide alternatives to annual crops
Initial version 6/4/2014