- 3 lbs. boneless chuck roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 T vegetable oil (or more as needed)
- black pepper
- 1 onion, diced coarse
- 1/4 c flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c red wine
- 3 c beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chillies (Rotel)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ bag baby carrots, cut into thirds
- 6 large potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 cans corn
- 2 cans green beans
- 1 can peas.
- On medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil to a large heavy pot (one that has a tight-fitting lid). Brown the beef in small batches, seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from the pit and set aside
- Reduce heat to medium. Add more oil, if necessary, and saute the onions and for about 5 minutes, until softened Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the broth, bay leaves, thyme, the beef, and both kinds of tomatoes. Bring back to a gentle simmer, cover and cook on low for about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and the juices from the canned vegetables. Let simmer covered for another 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Add corn, green beans, and peas. Taste and adjust seasonings. Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.