My younger brother started developing this recipe last year after having something similar. I had forgotten about it until I found a recipe only and discovered it had the name “Switchel”. It dates back to at least the late 1800’s (Laura Ingell). I suspect it was developed as an alcohol free version of watered wine.
- 3 to 4 T of honey (raw and local if possible)
- 2 T of Apple Cider Vinegar (unfiltered if possible)
- ~1/4 t of dry ginger
- Heat a small cup of water to help dissolve the honey.
- Mix in the honey, then the ginger, then the vinegar.
- Pour the honey solution into a 64 oz bottle (I use an old Powerade bottle) and top of with cold water.
- Shake well while drinking to prevent the ginger from settling. Can be drank immediately or left overnight.