This recipe started out from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook. The major changes I have made were to increase the quantities of fruits, nuts, and spices and to add some new spices.
- 12-oz of frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup molasses
- 36-oz of raisins
- 4 cup chopped nuts
- 2 pound candied fruit
- 1/2 cup spiced rum or similar
- 1 cup butter
- 4/3 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees with a pan of water at the bottom.
- Combine orange juice, molasses, and raisins in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts, candied fruit, and rum.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add spices, then flour, and then soda. Stir in fruit and nut mixture; mix well.
- Grease pans well. Fill about 3/4 full. Bake for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours. Cool cakes in pans, remove and let sit overnight.
- Wrap in cheesecloth and brush with rum. Place in plastic bags to age for at least one month, brushing with rum once or twice a week.