This isn’t my original recipe for wassail, it’s loss is part of my motivation for uploading all of the recipes I use.
- 1 gal apple cider
- 1/2 gal orange juice
- 4 (2 inch) whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 t ground mace
- 1/4 t anise seed
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t ground nutmeg
- 1 t ground ginger
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 lemons, sliced thin
- 1 lime, sliced thin
- Combine apple cider, orange juice, and brown sugar into a Crock-Pot set on high.
- Add in spices and continue to cook.
- Slice lemons and lime and add to Crock-Pot. Do not peel them and try to get any juice that comes out in with them.
- Continue heating for about an hour before serving. Temperature should be just below boiling. Once hot enough, reduce heat to low.
- These can be served as is or with a shot of rum or brandy added.
- Wassailing is a fertility and apple crop ritual. So flirting, dancing, and/or singing while consuming is encouraged.